Your guests arrive in your driveway, they get out with their hands full of snacks and you suddenly see them stumble. Aside from snacks falling all around you, your friends are following the snacks down. A simple crack in a driveway, due to no driveway sealing, can cause injury. It may seem far-fetched, but it has happened all over the world.
Driveway sealing is one way to counter the effects of your driveways aging. It is always important to keep your home in good repair. But it is equally important to keep your driveway in good repair as well. The driveway is the first place that guests see when they come to your home. So it is important to give them something nice to see. Not big, cracked, chunks falling and crumbling under their feet.
01. Why Should You Use Driveway Seal
Natural environmental factors affect your driveway. Rain, sleet, snow, ice, and even sun can cause damage over time. Eventually, the driveway will start to dent or divot and continued ignoring of the problem is not the answer. Driveway sealing is the perfect way to keep your driveway in good working order.
02. What does Driveway Sealing do for your Home
If you have a home that you bought with a nice new asphalt driveway, you were told that it should last 20-30 years. However, it will not last that long if you leave it alone. Driveway sealing actually protects your driveway from natural elements such as weather. By sealing the asphalt, you are extending the life of your driveway and preventing water from seeping into cracks and breaking it apart.
03. How much does Driveway Sealing Cost
Driveway sealing is nowhere near as expensive as having to replace your driveway. On average, a standard two car driveway will cost approximately $200 if you do the work yourself versus over $10,000 for a new driveway. Therefore, driveway sealing appears to be the optimum choice.
04. Where can I find Driveway Sealing Products
Luckily, any of the major home improvement stores have a variety of driveway sealing products. The most common driveway sealants found in these stores are for asphalt, but you can find it for concrete or even pavestones, as well.
05. Basic types of driveway sealing products for asphalt
- Simple Emulsified Asphalt
- Refined Coal Tar Sealants
- 100% Acrylic Polymer Sealer
The simple emulsified asphalt sealant provides the lowest level of protection for your driveway. This format simply adds another layer of asphalt that will get hard and brittle over time. This is what you are trying to keep from occurring, but it does extend the life of your driveway a little.
The next level of protection is refined coal tar sealants. This substance provides protection from gasoline because it does not get dissolved by gas, and oil and UV rays do not turn this sealant brittle. Thus, the life of the driveway is extended as long as you seal every 3-5 years.
The last and best level of protection is 100% acrylic polymer sealant. The man-made acrylic sealants for driveway sealing do not get brittle in UV light. They stay flexible for many years and do not require a resealing for almost 8 years.
However, these sealants are the most expensive. They are nearly double the cost of the less effective sealants, but they last twice as long. No matter what type of sealer you choose, it is important to at least seal your driveway every couple of years. Extend the life of your driveway, and you will protect the equity in your home.
06. Importance of Seal Coating
There are a number of benefits in using asphalt driveway sealer to cover the surface of asphalt driveways. The major gains include the following.
- Improved appearance: when asphalt roadways are seal coated, they look much better.
- Hard-wearing: when roads are smeared with asphalt driveway sealer, such roadways become much more durable.
- They make driveways watertight: driveways need to be water-resistant because if water gets into the road surface, such driveways may eventually fall to pieces.
- Asphalt driveway sealer helps to screen the road surface from some of the dangerous radiation coming from the sun. Such radiation has been found to promote the disintegration of the particles holding the paving together.
07. How often should driveways be filled?
The frequency with which you cover your driveway with asphalt driveway sealer will depend on the climatic conditions of the area you live in. The following are some of the key points to keep in mind.
- Experts advise that asphalt driveways should be sealed once in a three year period.
- People who live in arid regions of the world may need to seal their roadways much more frequently.
- Cover your driveway with asphalt driveway sealer once you notice that the asphalt’s color is turning to gray. This observation is a clear warning that the roadway is losing its cohesive properties.
- Asphalt driveway sealer makers, advice that filled sealer should not be applied on roadways until little cracks are noticed on them.
- If your asphalt driveway is newly constructed, you should allow a year to pass before you think of sealing.
If you decide that your driveway must be sealed on a yearly basis, be prepared to deal with the shortcomings. The asphalt driveway sealer is likely to accumulate on the surface of the road if sealing is done each year. This will increase the chances of the sealer getting into one’s home and staining things like rugs and carpets.
08. How to Determine a Good Quality Asphalt Driveway Sealer?
Not all asphalt driveway sealers are of the same quality. Being able to ascertain a good quality sealer is important so that you do not waste your hard earned money on fake low-quality products. Use the following checklist to determine the quality of sealers generally.
- Sealers contain chemical additions and solids. You know a high-quality sealer by the quantity of the chemical additions and solids It contains. The rule of thumb is: the more the better.
- You cannot easily evaluate the many chemical additions and solids that several makers use because the manufacturers will not give you their formula. Therefore you should
- Judge the quality of sealers by the length of guarantee the manufacturer is willing to give you. The longer the guarantee, the better the sealer.
Until now, most home roadways are made of asphalt. This is because asphalt driveways are long lasting while not being too difficult to maintain. However, like all man-made items, even the best asphalt driveway will eventually give way to wear and tear.
Seal coating is one maintenance culture that has been found effective in elongating the life of asphalt roadways. It involves the use of preparations called asphalt driveway sealer to coat the surface of asphalt driveways every now and then.