Asphalt driveways are one of the important parts of any small or big home. It certainly adds beauty to the appearance of the house. Often, asphalt driveways require maintenance, since they breakdown down due to salt, heat, sunlight, and wear. The best method to prolong the life of the driveway is asphalt driveway sealing. For the asphalt driveway sealing, you can hire a professional. However, most people like to do it on their own.
Having a driveway installed is an expensive endeavor. Once completed, it is imperative that it remains intact and in good condition. Whether you put down an asphalt, block or concrete drive, there are ways to extend the life and shape of the materials used.
The weather can devastate a driveway by creating potholes and erosion. General wear and tear of driving on the pavement will eventually take layers off and destroy its integrity. There is an easy way to sustain the viability and life of a drive and that is to use a good quality Asphalt Sealer on a regular basis.
Specific Reasons for Using an Asphalt Sealer
Below is a list of specific reasons for using an Asphalt Sealer. This list is not all inclusive of ways a driveway can be destroyed by nature or man, but it will give a good idea of why it is urgent to take heed in not omitting this process. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Water and ice infiltration – Water can permeate even the smallest of cracks and settle in the foundation of the driveway. As the base begins to wash away, potholes will form in the asphalt, shift the blocks or crack the concrete.
- Depending on the climate, water can easily turn to ice and the expansion of ice can create havoc by compromising any of the materials used to build a driveway.
- Ultraviolet rays can be a slow but certain destructive device of nature.
- Oil spills can destroy asphalt and stain concrete or blocked driveways.
- Grass, moss, algae, and weeds always find their way to sunshine, and they will grow around and through your driveway.
- Constant wear and tear is slow and not initially obvious but it is quietly destroying your drive.
- For a block driveway, an Asphalt Sealer can enhance the color.
Hopefully, this list of mitigating factors will be helpful in convincing a driveway owner of the importance in using an Asphalt Sealer initially and with regular maintenance.
Types of Asphalt Sealers
Basically, there are two types of asphalt sealer which are used commercially for asphalt driveway sealing. These types also have importance in accordance with their applications.
- Coal Tar-based Asphalt Sealers – It is a byproduct of refined and distilled coal. The coal tar-based asphalt sealers have numerous benefits. For instance, it can resist water and petroleum products efficiently. Since it has a stable chemical structure. It protects the driveways from the harmful rays of the sun, which helps in keeping its original jet black color intact.
- Asphalt–based Sealers – It is a byproduct produced by the refining of oil into gasoline. Asphalt-based sealers have properties to resist oil and gasoline. Sometimes coal tar or polymers are added to enhance its properties to keep asphalt driveway intact. The ingredients of asphalt-based sealers differ from company to company to provide high-quality sealers.
Material and Tools Required For Asphalt Driveway Sealing
Before the sealing process hits the reality there are some must include tools as below:
- Empty Drums
- An Asphalt Sealer
- One Paint Stick
- One Wide Squeegee
- One 2 by 4 Board
Procedure to Prepare Asphalt Driveway for Sealing
- The first step of asphalt driveway sealing requires cleaning of grass or weeds that grow along the driveway. You can either pull them manually or use a weed killer to remove them from the driveway. You can also trim weeds or grass with the help of tools.
- The second step is to clean oil stains off from the driveway. You can mix water and detergent to clean off the oil stains. Since detergent has good properties to clean off oil stains. You must scrub the stained area with the help of a brush.
- The third step requires cleaning of the asphalt driveway. You must get a garage styled broom to sweep up all the dirt and debris from asphalt driveway. Now with the help of garden hose wash down the asphalt driveway. It is important you must clean the asphalt driveway before asphalt driveway sealing.
Procedure of Asphalt Driveway Sealing
The first step of asphalt driveway sealing requires stirring the asphalt sealer after opening it up. You can use paint stocks to do this task. Now pour an adequate quantity of asphalt sealer on small sections of the driveway. Now move the sealer back and forth with the help of a squeegee. It is important that you must cover the whole driveway with the sealer uniformly.
After applying and finishing asphalt sealer uniformly with the squeegee, you must rinse the driveway with water. Now keep the driveway intact for almost twenty-four hours. Do not walk or use the driveway during this period. Place the drum and board to discourage any individual and cars to use the driveway.
A Few Tips for Applying Asphalt Sealer
When choosing a sealer, read the instructions and information carefully. Each manufacturer will make all the information available for equipment required. This list will prepare you for what kind of equipment you might need when applying any kind of Asphalt Sealer.
- If the driveway is new, a pressure washer will most likely not be needed. If not, it is beneficial for removing oil and other stains when used with a detergent. Otherwise, a standard hose and water nozzle should suffice.
- Gloves are mandatory for any Asphalt Sealer. When chemicals are in use, protecting one’s skin is incumbent on the user.
- Asphalt Sealer of the owner’s choice which can base on price, reapplication time, the environmental impact of the product and chemical makeup.
- Recommended application brushes should be listed by the manufacturer of the Asphalt Sealer.
There are not really many things required to apply the Asphalt Sealer but there is one thing that can’t be avoided and that would be elbow grease. Application time depends on the size of the project, but the process of cleaning and utilizing the Asphalt Sealer will certainly earn the workman an ice cold drink at the end of the project. But once completed, he can breathe easier now that his high-ticket driveway has been protected from the inclement weather he will surely experience in the year(s) to come.